St. Joseph's Residential School (Dunbow)

Original Document numérique not accessible

Zone d'identification

Type d'entité

School

Forme autorisée du nom

St. Joseph's Residential School (Dunbow)

forme(s) parallèle(s) du nom

Forme(s) du nom normalisée(s) selon d'autres conventions

Autre(s) forme(s) du nom

  • Dunbow
  • High River
  • St. Joseph's Industrial School
  • Dunbow Industrial School
  • High River Industrial School

Numéro d'immatriculation des collectivités

Zone de description

Dates d’existence

1884-10-17 - 1922-12-31

Historique

The Dunbow Industrial school, also known as St. Joseph’s, was one of the first of three industrial schools established by a partnership between the Canadian government and Canadian churches. The school was built in 1884, northeast of Okotoks, where the Highwood River flows into the Bow River. The nearest post office was located in High River, which was the mailing address for the school. It was a Roman Catholic school, and the first principal was Father Albert Lacombe. From the outset, the school had trouble recruiting and retaining students. In 1918, the principal and three students died of influenza. In 1922, the school, which had an enrollment of only 26 students, was closed.

Lieux

High River, Alberta

Statut légal

Fonctions et activités

Textes de référence

Organisation interne/Généalogie

Contexte général

Zone des relations

Zone des points d'accès

Mots-clés - Lieux

Occupations

Zone du contrôle

Identifiant de notice d'autorité

S-067

Identifiant du service d'archives

Règles et/ou conventions utilisées

Statut

Ébauche

Niveau de détail

Élémentaire

Dates de production, de révision et de suppression

Langue(s)

Écriture(s)

Sources

Notes de maintenance

  • Presse-papier

  • Exporter

  • EAC

Lieux associés