
Identity area
Type of entity
School
Authorized form of name
St. Joseph's Residential School (Dunbow)
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
- Dunbow
- High River
- St. Joseph's Industrial School
- Dunbow Industrial School
- High River Industrial School
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Description area
Dates of existence
1884-10-17 - 1922-12-31
History
The Dunbow Industrial school, also known as St. Joseph’s, was one of the first of three industrial schools established by a partnership between the Canadian government and Canadian churches. The school was built in 1884, northeast of Okotoks, where the Highwood River flows into the Bow River. The nearest post office was located in High River, which was the mailing address for the school. It was a Roman Catholic school, and the first principal was Father Albert Lacombe. From the outset, the school had trouble recruiting and retaining students. In 1918, the principal and three students died of influenza. In 1922, the school, which had an enrollment of only 26 students, was closed.
Places
High River, Alberta
Legal status
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Internal structures/genealogy
General context
Relationships area
Access points area
Subject access points
Occupations
Control area
Authority record identifier
Institution identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Status
Draft
Level of detail
Minimal